While winter seems like it’s already been going on for way too long, its influence on our heating bill is only beginning. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open throughout the warmest hours of the day to let sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing leaks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can more precisely control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Inspecting your heating vents to make sure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep the heat trapped inside.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Attempting to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions regarding the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a jingle at 302-231-1380. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Middletown weather.