Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how regularly your air filter has been swapped out, to name a handful—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask SchagrinGAS Company in Middletown about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the timeline between professional cleanings.
First and foremost, setup annual HVAC maintenance with the professionals at SchagrinGAS Company. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should include inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system functioning well, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at SchagrinGAS Company about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters regularly and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will show dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not need replacement.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that allow dust to enter from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your Middletown home clean and healthy. Give the pros at SchagrinGAS Company a call at 302-231-1380.