Whether you enjoy winter or favor the warmer months in Middletown, a lot of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it must be replaced. We advocate at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can arrange temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—even with your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The professionals at SchagrinGAS Company can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give SchagrinGAS Company in Middletown a call to start down the right path. You can reach us at 302-231-1380 or book an appointment with us online.