You’re in the middle of the coldest week of winter and you wake up shivering in a pile of blankets in bed. Your first thought is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to leave yourself in a predicament like this where it feels like you’re predestined to suffer until morning to arrange furnace repair, but there are a handful of things you can inspect, as well as a couple things you can do, to stay on your toes and prepare for a situation like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Frigid nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avert a chilly predicament.
- Pull together supplies. Set aside some room in a closet, drawer or another easy to access area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warmed up while your furnace is out. It could seem annoying or unnecessary now, but it will be a relief when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Operating:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace could have been tripped by a power surge or for some other reason. If this occurs, switch the breaker back on and you might be set. If the breaker is tripped and you have turned it back on but your furnace still isn’t running, give us a call to schedule an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer up and get cozy. That list of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you preserve body heat so you can stay warm while waiting for your technician. Also, try to find an activity to do to keep your blood pumping, as increased activity can help keep you cozy.
- Stay safe. Utilizing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose potential danger depending on the method you’re choosing. It’s important to remember to never use heating methods developed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use an alternate method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your go-tos.
No one wants to put up with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has gone out, but the possibility is real if you don’t take the proper steps. Give the experts at SchagrinGAS Company a call at 302-231-1380 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services provided or any other number of heating questions.